Here’s your chance. I’ve opined that the Council has not yet, despite needing to set the preliminary levy in September, had the sort of big picture discussion that I think we should have to be able to make reasonable budget policy (see Welcome Center, Community events). It looks like our August 24 worksession will be the time for such a conversation, so help me frame that discussion for the Council…
- a Comprehensive Plan which advocates for compact and sustainable development,
- Council goals which stress communication, sustainability, and proceeding with capital projects
- 5 year CIP with 3 major projects
- shrinking tax base
- probable loss of $2 million of local government aid which we’ve discussed budgeting as a $500,000 reduction each year
- staff turnover including beginning to search for a new city administrator
We need to be able to succinctly understand where we are and how we could proceed to conserve taxpayer dollars and fund our highest priorities. Weigh in now!